With a bowl full of lemons at home, it was time to get baking! These are super quick to make and are delicious.
Perfect Lemon Syrup Cupcakes
- 125g butter, softened
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup of castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup of Best Foods mayonnaise
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Icing sugar
- Pre heat oven to 190 degrees celsius and line a cupcake tray with liners
- Cream the butter, lemon zest, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and fold into creamed mixture.
- Mix in the mayonnaise (having mayonnaise in your cupcakes means they last a little longer, as the vinegar in it acts like a preservative)
- Spoon mixture into cupcake paper liners and bake for 15-20 minutes. I would check them at 15 minutes and if a skewer comes out wet leave them in for another 5 minutes.
- Whilst they are baking mix up the lemon syrup, I didn’t measure anything with the syrup, I juiced the two lemons which I used the zest from and added about 2-3 tbsp icing sugar, then mix and taste, you can adjust it to your liking.
- Once the syrup is done, toast some dessicated coconut in a frying pan on the stove, keep an eye on it though as it browns quickly.
- Once you take the cupcakes out, poke a few tiny holes in them then pour over a teaspoon of syrup (or more if you like) and top with toasted coconut.
Note: I have chosen not to ice these cupcakes with a cream icing, I prefer them like this and my kids don’t need the extra sugar! However, if you want to ice them you could always make a cream cheese icing to decorate them, they will be perfect for special occasions.
Source: Adapted from the Edmonds Cookbook