Since making this and posting a photo I have been asked a lot for the recipe. These Christmas crackers are so easy to make and they are perfect for gifts or as a plate. I made these for my girls shared lunch at school, and used candy cane as the toppings. The toppings you can add are endless.
- 100g plain salted crackers (I used Huntley & Palmers Cream Crackers Original)
- 225g butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 250g Whittakers Dark Cacao chocolate block (at least 60% Cacao and above is good), roughly chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the over to 190 deg C. Line a 22cm x 33cm shallow baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the crackers in the base of the tray without overlapping, so they cover the base, breaking them to fit if required.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring well, until it bubbles and is combined.
- Remove from the heat and pour immediately over the crackers as evenly as possible. Place in the preheated over for 8-10 minutes or until bubbling all over and the caramel is starting to darken.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle the chocolate over evenly, then return to the oven for a further minute or until the chocolate has just melted enough to spread. Using a spatula or palette knife spread the chocolate evenly so it is smooth on the surface.
- Sprinkle over the pistachios and cranberries and leave until the chocolate is just set before cutting into pieces.
- Store the crackers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Recipe courtesy of Dish Magazine